Mike Niles, a volunteer for North London Cares, visits Mitzi, an isolated older person living in North London once a week. Hear about his stories and experiences from the last 4 years below:
I used to work for a small charity supporting isolated older people and am very passionate about the issue of isolation and loneliness. I came across North London Cares a while ago and have been a big fan ever since. I’m sure you’ll see why once you’ve heard about the work they do in the interview.
In the interview you will find out:
- How the riots in London led to the charity starting
- What Mike’s role involves & why he feels like ‘a bit of a fraud’ when he’s called a volunteer
- Why Mitzi was put forward to be matched with a young professional through North London Cares
- What a 20-something-year-old Northerner has in common with a 70-something-year-old Londoner
- The challenges Mike has faced in his role and how he has overcome them
- What Mike has learnt from Mitzi
- Some good news from the charity
… And much more!
As Mike say’s, it’s so simple to make such a big impact on people’s lives. Find out more about North London Cares and how you can get involved by visiting their website.