Did you know ginger rescue cats find a new home quicker than black cats?
According to the RSPCA, 70 per cent of cats looking for a new home in Britain are black or black and white.
Ginger cats at The Mayhew Animal Home take an average of 41 days to find a new home. In comparison, black cats take an average of 83 days to find a new home.
Heading over to your local rescue centre soon? Here are ten reasons to consider adopting a black cat:
1) You will be given a lot of love – Black (and black and white cats) are just as affectionate and loving as cats that are white, tortoiseshell or ginger
2) They are beautiful – black cats have just as much charm and charisma as their more colourful friends. Also their sleek, glossy and dark coats complement their bright sparkling eyes.
3) Black or black and white cats will suit your home décor – you wouldn’t have to redecorate your house to coordinate with your cat, black goes with everything!
4) There are lots of famous black cats – these regal characters have a certain mystery and allure about them and are often a key character in films, TV shows and books. For example, Sylvester, the mischievous black and white cat from cartoon show Looney Tunes, Felix, the cat who advertises the cat food brand of the same name and, Salem, the black cat from the TV programme Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
5) Black cats are said to be lucky – in parts of the world including Asia, Italy, and the UK, black cats are believed to be symbols of good luck. In Scotland, a black cat appearing on your doorstep is a sign of prosperity.
6) They might surprise you and your friends – most black cats are not actually black at all, but are a mix of all sorts of dark colours. Look at a black cat in the sun and you might see shades of brown, tabby, white and auburn.
7) Black cats mean less cleaning – If you love wearing the colour black, you don’t need to be as careful about vacuuming or brushing off cat hair as with a light coloured cat.
8) You can be proud to be different, rather than sticking with the crowd – Black (and black and white) cats have low adoption rates. When you choose to be different by adopting a black or black and white cat, you are giving a forever home to a feline who has likely been waiting longer than their rescue friends. So they will forever be thankful!
9) Your Instagram followers will love you – Black cats are natural models in the right lighting, especially if you take cool black and white photos of them.
10) Your life won’t be the same again – All black and black and white cats have individual personalities –some are sassy and some just want cuddles all day. Each cat has its own unique personality and temperament. Just like every other cat, they just want to be loved and cared for and they just want a chance.